About New Bedford Creative
New Bedford Creative
Margo Saulnier, Creative Strategist
Jasmyn Baird, Senior Creative Fellow
Zane Cox, Junior Creative Fellow
History and Funding
New Bedford Arts, Culture and Tourism Fund was proposed by Mayor Jon Mitchell in the spring of 2016 and approved by the City Council in June 2016, and consists of revenue generated from the city’s lodging tax, capped at a total of $100,000. Creation of the fund also required the passage of a home rule petition by the state legislature and the petition’s passage, led by state Senator Mark Montigny and signed into law by Governor Baker in January 2017. The purpose of the fund is to create a dedicated revenue stream to provide for additional planning, programmatic, and administrative capacity to allow the City of New Bedford to take full advantage of its cultural and tourism assets, and to catalyze and manage the growth of the cultural and tourism sectors in the years ahead. The NBEDC has a three-year agreement to manage the fund for the City. This work is lead by the NBEDC’s Creative Strategist. Additional funding is provided by Bristol County Savings Bank, Mass Cultural Council, and MassDevelopment.
New Bedford Creative Consortium
The New Bedford Creative Consortium is the leadership group whose purpose is overseeing the execution of the citywide strategic Arts and Culture Plan entitled New Bedford Creative: our art, our culture, our future. The Arts and Culture Plan is a huge step forward in building a thriving creative ecosystem in our city, and these are the people dedicated to implementing it. This volunteer group is facilitated by the Creative Strategist, with additional staff support from the New Bedford Economic Development Council and the Departments of City Planning, Tourism & Marketing, Parks, Recreation & Beaches, and the Mayor’s Office.
- Lee Blake – New Bedford Historical Society
- Rhonda M. Fazio – Interwoven, Dyer Maker Studio, La Rhonda Catering
- Steven Froias – New Bedford Ocean Cluster, New Bedford Now, Seaport Cultural District, Love The Ave
- Jeff Glassman – Darn It!, Hatch Street Studios
- Dena Haden – Co-Creative Center, SuperflatNB, Seaport Cultural District
- Wendy Hall – New Bedford Festival Theatre
- Viera Levitt – UMass Dartmouth College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Lindsay Mis – Massachusetts Design Art + Technology Institute (DATMA)
- Joclyne Nunes – New Bedford Whaling Museum
- Ashley Occhino – New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks!
- Eric Paradis – Your Theatre, The Steeple Playhouse, New Bedford JazzFest
- Penny Pimentel – Zeiterion Performing Arts Center
- Dawn Salerno – Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum
- Jennifer Smith – New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park
- Darlene A. Spencer – Cape Verdean Association, United Way of Greater New Bedford
- Patricia Thomas – Culture*Park
- Rebecca Uchill – UMass Dartmouth College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Nathan Vaughan – Bristol Community College, Downtown New Bedford Inc.
- Samia Walker – EforAll, 3rd EyE Unlimited, Doodles Creative Sessions
- Zachary White – Gallery X